Thursday, December 13, 2012

Improving competence


Just letting you know what I have been up to.  Yesterday apparently I had 57 page views so it's obvious people do pop round to see what's going on in this neck of the woods, lol.    You know, actually, I am in a learning trough, which initially seemed a rather negative, undesirable and uncomfortable place to be.  Don't get me wrong - I put myself there.  Just me and the paint and the canvases.  And the ideas.  When we become more aware of "process" and of "referents"  our competence levels begin to drop and it needs lots of conversations - with yourself, with others (if you have others), with the paint and with paintings - your own and other people's, in order to provide support for progress - improving competence, on your own terms.  After a while I realised that actually, this is not an uncomfortable place - it has become a comfortable one. I have thrown a few cushions around metaphorically speaking.  I love that there are no distractions; no rewards, (kindly bloggers admiring my work), no punishments (rejections from exhibition organisers etc), nothing except me and the paint.  There will come a day when I emerge from my trough, because I do like the idea of showing my work but I want it to be work I am proud to show. I'm really into the struggle and feeling positive about it.  And I'll put the key to the trough in my pocket so that I can always go back for a return visit.

2 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Sheila,
No surprise to me, but your last two posts show that, like many artists, you are also a very respectable writer. Using words as your media, you artfully scatter characters across the page.

May I respectfully (ha!) suggest that, whether or not you post paintings for a while, please continue to write and post your thoughts about art, inspiration and self-doubt. The trinity of creation.

If you want to.

Don Gray said...

Well now, Sheila, I'm apparently going to have to imagine these lovely paintings piling up in your studio unseen, until you're ready to post again. My only consolation?--I know the wait will be worth it.

Meanwhile, have a wonderful Christmas season and blessings for the new year.