Friday, June 20, 2014

Figures in an improvised landscape



Acrylic and Oil on linen canvas 16" x 16"
(this has been reworked - see post for Sunday 22nd June above)

The painting began to feel almost like a stage set. In France they have a celebration called "Tableau Vivant" where real people pose on a makeshift stage with makeshift props and yet the effect, although making no claims to be anything but "made up" has a magical air about it of probability. As Van Gogh said "What I do may be a lie but it conveys reality more accurately". 

5 comments:

cohen labelle said...

I like this composition and the previous one a lot! Wonderfully inventive, infinite possibilities.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Aw thanks Marcia. Don't you think composition is very like complexity theory - symmetry is out but checks and balances are in. I always enjoy the challenges composition throws at me.

Sand Hill Art said...

I'd hang it on MY wall.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Sally, never, you should be hanging your own!

Barbara Muir said...

I love this -- wonderful sculptural forms. It's odd that we worry about what is true, when we are making a new image. But we do!

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara