Saturday, June 21, 2014

I was lost in France


Oil on fine cotton canvas board 12" x 9"

After the previous "hard edged" painting I wanted to try something in Sandra Flood style. I have recently received a copy of her new book and the paintings are delicious. It meant no hard edges (or hardly any) and the model's face to be predominant in the painting.  This approach also reminds me of Jonathan Yeo, a British portrait painter who often does the face in some detail but keeps clothes and background sketchy. I must say this was a totally enjoyable way to work.

ps. I am not sure whether it is ok to use a song title (one of my favourites from long ago) for a painting. Anybody know?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly certain there is no problem using a song title, or any other string of words, as a painting title.
Ah yes, Bonnie Tyler! One of my favourites from that time too :)
and this painting reminded me slightly of one you did some time ago, "Northern Girl" I think it was titled, also a blonde girl.
Your paintings are always a pleasure to see, and yesterday's was a corker :)

Mark Wilkinson
Hexham

Sheila Vaughan said...

Hey, thank you Mark,nice to see you on the blog. Yes, Bonnie Tyler, I loved that rough edge to her wonderful and unique voice. I think I did do a painting called "Girl from the North" a while ago. It was the same model I know. I'll see if I can track it down out of interest.
Glad you liked yesterday's. I love that expression "a corker", lol.

Roxanne Steed said...

I'm liking the look of this piece...yes, it's different...but the 'underlying- you' still comes through.

sandra flood said...

This looks great and thanks for the shout out about the book. I always wanted to do a show of paintings based on songs. I remember when I was a little girl we had an art teacher who would play a piece of music or song and we would have to create a drawing on how the music made us feel.I remember it well even though it was decades ago!

Sheila Vaughan said...

Thank you Roxanne, that's always good to hear!

Sheila Vaughan said...

Hi Sandra, well the book is worth a big shout! Yes, song titles are often so poignant. Poems too yield great possibilities. You had a very creative art teacher by the sounds of things!

Barbara Muir said...

This is beautiful and I can see the inspiration. I love Sandra Flood's work too. In fact she creates deep, moody atmospheres just like you do.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara