Sunday, June 15, 2014

Women by the sea

Acrylic on hardboard 16" x 16"

I wanted to use my life drawings in some kind of way in terms of composing figurative paintings. What I like about the life models is the way that as they pose they appear to zone in on an inner conversation and enter a world of their own making. It reinforces the notion of the essential "separateness" of human beings.  I knew I wanted to abstract the figures somewhat but also I wanted to keep them "weighted" so they retained a feeling of solidity, rooted in and integrated with their surroundings.

I did do process photographs for this one as I wanted to mark the process for myself so I am sharing these below.  Scroll down to the bottom of the post and work your way up.



Modifying the colours. Have lost quite a lot of the yellow now. The general tone is becoming gentler.




First introduction of the blues. I kind of like the darker tones of these two passes (this one and the one above). The predominant lavender shade of the blue got lost in later stages but here it goes so well with that yellow.


Thinking of abstracting that little kite flyer into a simple set of curves. This had to happen as it looked bizarre to have it representationally drawn.


Transferring the figures with charcoal to a prepared board which has been painted randomly in oranges, yellows and pinks 

I don't always sketch out on paper my basic idea for a painting but this time I did. I decided to put a tiny third figure in the background flying a kite.

These are the two life drawings I chose to work from. I wanted a seated and a standing figure.






3 comments:

Linda Popple said...

LOVE this, Sheila! Your design and use of color strikes a chord with me. Thanks for sharing your process.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Linda, I am happy to share!

Barbara Muir said...

I love this series and watching the
painting develop -- so great how it becomes more abstract.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara